Remote / Work-from-Home Position: Unpaid Internship
Do you want a job that allows you to work with your hands and provides daily challenges and problem-solving opportunities? We have an immediate opening for an assistant position and are looking for a smart, organized candidate to take responsibility for success. You will have the chance to learn about and help all parts of the production process, and form networking connections with foundations, non-profits, and many more. We expect every member of our team to contribute hard work, creative solutions, and a positive attitude, and we offer excellent experience for your talent and passion. Come join our team and enjoy an internship in an exciting environment while building your resume and working toward the next step in your career.
Interns will help nonprofits get necessary publicity in these times of turmoil, helping more people through physics research than could be achieved as a volunteer for any single nonprofit. This research will be applied across traditional and new platforms for a variety of nonprofits, meaning the intern’s work will be used by real people in the real world. This practical application is meant to bridge the gap between an intern’s university learning and workplace reality.
This internship is the second of a three-part series of training for software engineering that leads to definite positive impact for charities that interest you and even potential employment with Bashpole Software.
For internships, a “season” means one of summer, fall/winter, or winter/spring. It varies depending on the timeline (semesters/trimesters/quarters) your college follows, and internship begin and end dates vary likewise. Generally, a full-time internship lasts for at least 3 months, and a part-time internship lasts for at least 5 months, no matter the season.
- Fundamentals of Physics in Computer Architecture Kit for STEM Education Season 1: Research and Development
- Fundamentals of Physics in Computer Architecture Kit for STEM Education Season 2: Product Market Testing and Presentation
- Fundamentals of Physics in Computer Architecture Kit for STEM Education Season 3: Team Management
People can apply to skip Season 1 if they have an exceptional background and experience already. Interns wanting to move to Season 3 must have done a Season 2 internship in advance.
A Unique and Valuable Experience:
Bashpole Software is preparing partner with nonprofits and apply for grants to support this software: the software will in turn benefit the environment by creating new ways to teach people (young and old) to be able to understand what they see.
- We support creating opportunities for leadership. As an intern, you’ll be encouraged to lead projects and goals that suit your interests. This encouragement extends to potential management training.
- You will work either collaboratively in a team or independently on a project of your choice from a list that we will provide.
- In weekly team meetings, you will be guided by Bashpole employees who have from 10 to 20 years or more of relevant work experience.
With approval from management, this internship also offers opportunities for you to add examples to your professional portfolio, which you can later use for future job applications. Moreover:
- Need work study or school-credit for the internship? We can support this.
- We also encourage students to apply for scholarships for participating in our internship.
Training Beyond the Core Subject:
Our rules-of-thumb (RoT’s) training process is part of Bashpole’s ongoing effort to provide a positive and collaborative environment for all its employees. The RoT’s are the otherwise unwritten rules of professional culture and etiquette straight from an industry professional. We’ve developed a system for expressly teaching these rules and procedures to our employees.
- This experience, and the valuable lessons you learn, will be of use to you throughout your whole career. Much of this comes directly from our founder, with whom you’ll work often during the internship experience.
- Bashpole’s company culture is a supportive, motivated, and collaborative environment for all levels of employment that isn’t based upon strict workplace hierarchies. With the projects you work on, and the people you regularly work with, you can establish a cooperative and productive relationship with anyone at any place on the corporate ladder.
- This isn’t a “busy work” internship. The work Bashpole does, and you’ll be contributing to, affects the nonprofit world and will result in real applicable experience.
Bashpole Software, Inc. has been in business since 2006 with the mission to develop technology to better the world. Our services include applied research and development, nonprofit marketing, sponsorship opportunities for businesses, database integration, and communication technologies. Your research will contribute to both our mission to help non-profits and the non-profits themselves to better aid their communities. This allows you to have a larger impact than if working with a nonprofit organization alone.
Bashpole has been funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), the Defense Advanced Research Projects Initiative (DARPA), and sales of services to nonprofits. For more information, please visit https://bashpolesoftware.com/ (which also goes by bashpole.com).
- Facilitate production efficiency by reviewing resource allocation and revising production schedules when necessary to account for design changes, engineering issues, material shortages, or other issues
- Perform quality checks, inspections, and tests at the end of each prototype production/revision by examining the product, materials, and test processes
- Gather and record relevant data during production and testing and create detailed reports of progress, raw materials used, and quality control measures
Preferred Skills to Have and Develop:
- Strict adherence to deadlines
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to resolve conflict
- Experience with public outreach, grant writing, and related tasks
- Familiarity with 3D Printing, laser engraving/cutting, and other prototype manufacturing processes
- Familiarity with all aspects of prototyping processes
- Remote work both as a team and individually
- Connection with your coworkers with a positive personality and sense of humor
- Challenge to your own assumptions and think creatively
- Be generally available for meetings during business hours – we have team and individual meetings every week via Google Meet and similar online conferencing software
- Flexible daily start and stop times
- For internships taken during the fall or spring, work on average 2-4 hours a day or 10-20 hours per week. For internships during the summer, work on average of 8 hours a day or 40 hours per week.
- Bashpole expects interns to manage their individual schedules.
- Internship begin and end dates are flexible according to your university’s calendar for classes
It is expected that interns start ASAP and continue to the end of the school term for each season. Internship participation over multiple seasons is preferred, but not required.
Interns will partner with helpful, friendly teammates from many universities and a variety of backgrounds. Please read the Company Culture to see the experience past interns had with us. These networking interns perform can lead to lifelong professional and personal connections. Interns will be given unique soft skills training called the “Rules of Thumb” (RoT) and position-specific best practices. The friendly and supportive people at Bashpole Software provide excellent mentorship. In this internship, there will be special training in product testing.
Email email@example.com by submitting your resume and including short descriptions of your qualifications for each bullet under the Prefered Skills section in the Cover Letter. Resumes sent without this information will not be considered. You must be a student during the time of your internship and must not have permanently graduated.
Interns – whether interested in one or multiple internships – will require only one, one-hour first interview. Also, in some cases, a customized internship may be possible.