Remote / Work-from-Home Position: Unpaid Internship
Rather than the coffee-fetching of a typical internship, Bashpole Software, Inc. interns get hands-on experience with writing grant applications and contract proposals related to our various technology ideas and projects.
Our work is diverse, and your role will be coauthor (with our guidance and feedback) funding proposals that will enable us to take one of our planned projects to the next level. For example, for one project, we’ll create software for teaching students and students-for-life how to properly identify plants, animals, and much more from nature. For another, we’ll create software to help non-profits get publicity. For yet another, we’ll create a resource for soft-skills training for new employees. And there may be other projects: you’ll pick one, research the topic, and look up funding opportunities, and learn how to respond to them by helping us do so.
This internship is the first of a three-part series of training for business consulting that leads to definite positive impact for charities that interest you and even potential employment with Bashpole Software.
For internships, a “season” means one of summer, fall/winter, or winter/spring. It varies depending on the timeline (semesters/trimesters/quarters) your college follows, and internship begin and end dates vary likewise. Generally, a full-time internship lasts for at least 3 months, and a part-time internship lasts for at least 5 months, no matter the season.
- Technology Consulting Internship Season 1: Proposal Writing & Technical Writing
- Technology Consulting Internship Season 2: Business Development with Decision Makers
- Technology Consulting Internship Season 3: Team Management
You cannot apply to skip Season 1. Also, interns wanting to move to Season 3 must have done a Season 2 internship in advance.
Note: do not apply for more than one internship position at a time. Pick the one that interests you the most, apply for it, and then if you are invited for an interview, mention your interest in the other positions at that time.
A Unique and Valuable Experience:
Bashpole Software is preparing partner with nonprofits and apply for grants to support software development.
- We support creating opportunities for leadership. As an intern, you’ll be encouraged to lead projects and goals that suit your interests. This encouragement extends to potential management training.
- You will work either collaboratively in a team or independently on a project of your choice from a list that we will provide.
- In weekly team meetings, you will be guided by Bashpole employees who have from 10 to 20 years or more of relevant work experience.
With approval from management, this internship also offers opportunities for you to add examples to your professional portfolio, which you can later use for future job applications. Moreover:
- Need work study or school-credit for the internship? We can support this.
- We also encourage students to apply for scholarships for participating in our internship.
Training Beyond the Core Subject:
Our rules-of-thumb (RoT’s) training process is part of Bashpole’s ongoing effort to provide a positive and collaborative environment for all its employees. The RoT’s are the otherwise unwritten rules of professional culture and etiquette straight from an industry professional. We’ve developed a system for expressly teaching these rules and procedures to our employees.
- This experience, and the valuable lessons you learn, will be of use to you throughout your whole career. Much of this comes directly from our founder, with whom you’ll work often during the internship experience.
- Bashpole’s company culture is a supportive, motivated, and collaborative environment for all levels of employment that isn’t based upon strict workplace hierarchies. With the projects you work on, and the people you regularly work with, you can establish a cooperative and productive relationship with anyone at any place on the corporate ladder.
- This isn’t a “busy work” internship. The work Bashpole does, and you’ll be contributing to, affects the nonprofit world and will result in real applicable experience.
Bashpole Software, Inc. has been in business since 2006 with the mission to develop technology to better the world. Our services include applied research and development, nonprofit marketing, sponsorship opportunities for businesses, and data services. Your research will be with real data on real projects that we will put to real use in short order for our customers and partner organizations. This allows you to have a larger impact than if working with a single nonprofit or government organization alone.
Bashpole has been funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), the Defense Advanced Research Projects Initiative (DARPA), and the sales of services to nonprofits. For more information, please visit https://bashpolesoftware.com/.
- Develop a variety of different proposals for Bashpole Software products to submit to various organizations
- Learn to simplify complex terminology, identify ‘buzzwords’ used by organizations to separate adequate from inadequate pitches, and create succinct paragraphs of information that organizations can easily scan through
- Support research and development at Bashpole Software with the potential to win grants and contracts — experience applicable to positions at similar companies
Preferred Skills to Have and Develop:
- Gain familiarity with developing and arranging sections of a grant proposal (including abstract, program budget, logic model framework, timeline, evaluation plan)
- Practice crafting persuasive and appealing language
- Work remotely in both a team and individually
- Connect with both your coworkers and interview subjects with a positive personality and sense of humor
- Challenge your own assumptions and think creatively
- Be generally available for meetings during business hours – we have team and individual meetings every week via Google Meet and similar online conferencing software
- Flexible daily start and stop times
- For internships taken during the fall or spring, work on average 2-4 hours a day or 10-20 hours per week. For internships during the summer, work on average of 8 hours a day or 40 hours per week.
- Bashpole expects interns to manage their individual schedules.
- Internship begin and end dates are flexible according to your university’s calendar for classes
It is expected that interns start ASAP and continue to the end of the school term for each season. Internship participation over multiple seasons is preferred, but not required.
If the funding applications to which you contribute are successful, then that could potentially lead to Bashpole making you a job offer in the future. By helping us write proposals (and learning how to do so along the way), you’ll help us get the support we need to pursue these projects, and you’ll make a difference in the world by way of the differences our technologies will enable.
Interns will partner with helpful, friendly teammates from many universities and a variety of backgrounds. Please read the Company Culture to see the experience past interns had with us. These networking interns perform can lead to lifelong professional and personal connections. Interns will be given unique soft skills training called the “Rules of Thumb” (RoT) and position-specific best practices. The friendly and supportive people at Bashpole Software provide excellent mentorship. In this internship, there will be special training in Proposal Writing & Technical Writing.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org by submitting your resume and including short descriptions of your qualifications for each bullet under the Prefered Skills section in the Cover Letter. Resumes sent without this information will not be considered. You must be a student during the time of your internship and must not have permanently graduated.
Interns are encouraged to apply if they have any interest in technical writing, as they will learn the fundamentals of technical communication in this internship. Interns are also encouraged to apply if they have interest in cutting-edge technology, as they will learn about and directly advocate for such technology in their proposals.
Interns – whether interested in one or multiple internships – will require only one, one-hour first interview. Also, in some cases, a customized internship may be possible.