Remote / Work-from-Home Position: Unpaid Internship
Rather than the coffee-fetching of a typical internship, Bashpole Software, Inc. interns will get hands-on experience in computer science, math, and social science by participating in ongoing software engineering and full-web-stack development of a first-of-its-kind system to help non-profits gain the publicity that is currently more desperately needed than ever.
Your contribution in our research and development can directly help nonprofits around the world to connect with donors, volunteers, employees, constituents, and more. In helping to build upon our prototype, you can help nonprofits help the world on larger scale than by interning for any one nonprofit. The software will be applied across traditional and new platforms for a variety of nonprofits, meaning the interns’ work will be used by real people in the real world. Bashpole Software, Inc. enables you to work alongside machine learning, machine vision, natural language processing, and software development professionals. Join us in the pursuit of truth, knowledge, and how best to help the world make itself a better place.
This internship is the second of a three-part series of training for software engineering that leads to definite positive impact for charities that interest you and even potential employment with Bashpole Software. Depending on your experience, you can apply to start with Season 1 or Season 2.
For internships, a “season” means one of summer, fall/winter, or winter/spring. It varies depending on the timeline (semesters/trimesters/quarters) your college follows, and internship begin and end dates vary likewise. Generally, a full-time internship lasts for at least 3 months, and a part-time internship lasts for at least 5 months, no matter the season.
- Software Engineering Season 1: Usability, Unit, and System Testing for Software for Non-profits
- Software Engineering Season 2.A: Full Stack Software Development that Helps Non-profits
- Software Engineering Season 2.B: Natural Language Processing (NLP) in Machine Learning – Advertising & Optimization – Software for Nonprofits
- Software Engineering Season 2.C: idTraffickers.com – Web Full Stack Development and R&D of Algorithms for Fighting Human Trafficking
- Software Engineering Season 3: Software Engineering Team Management & Leadership
People can apply to skip Season 1 if they have an exceptional background and experience already. Interns wanting to move to Season 3 must have done a Season 2 internship in advance.
Note: do not apply for more than one internship position at a time. Pick the one that interests you the most, apply for it, and then if you are invited for an interview, mention your interest in the other positions at that time.
A Unique and Valuable Experience:
Bashpole Software is preparing to roll out its prototype software to nonprofits that work on a wide variety of social causes across the USA and many other countries.
- We support creating opportunities for leadership. As an intern, you’ll be encouraged to lead projects and goals that suit your interests. This encouragement extends to potential management training.
- You will work either collaboratively in a team or independently on a project of your choice from a list that we will provide.
- In weekly team meetings, you will be guided by Bashpole employees who have from 10 to 20 years or more of relevant work experience.
With approval from management, this internship also offers opportunities for you to add examples to your professional portfolio, which you can later use for future job applications. Moreover:
- Need work study or school-credit for the internship? We can support this.
- We also encourage students to apply for scholarships for participating in our internship.
Training Beyond the Core Subject:
Our rules-of-thumb (RoT’s) training process is part of Bashpole’s ongoing effort to provide a positive and collaborative environment for all its employees. The RoT’s are the otherwise unwritten rules of professional culture and etiquette straight from an industry professional. We’ve developed a system for expressly teaching these rules and procedures to our employees.
- This experience, and the valuable lessons you learn, will be of use to you throughout your whole career. Much of this comes directly from our founder, with whom you’ll work often during the internship experience.
- Bashpole’s company culture is a supportive, motivated, and collaborative environment for all levels of employment that isn’t based upon strict workplace hierarchies. With the projects you work on, and the people you regularly work with, you can establish a cooperative and productive relationship with anyone at any place on the corporate ladder.
- This isn’t a “busy work” internship. The work Bashpole does, and you’ll be contributing to, affects the nonprofit world and will result in real applicable experience.
Bashpole Software, Inc. has been in business since 2006 with the mission to develop technology to better the world. Our services include applied research and development, nonprofit marketing, sponsorship opportunities for businesses, and data services. Your research will be with real data on real projects that we will put to real use in short order for our customers and partner organizations. This allows you to have a larger impact than if working with a single nonprofit or government organization alone.
Bashpole has been funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), the Defense Advanced Research Projects Initiative (DARPA), and the sales of services to nonprofits. For more information, please visit https://bashpolesoftware.com/.
- Help develop client and server software that assist nonprofits in marketing their services on traditional and new media platforms
- Focus on either front-end or back-end development
- Participate in a remote-learning environment, assisting nonprofits during the COVID pandemic with advertising their causes
- Build a strong network with other interns while socially distanced
choose their own nonprofits, allowing for flexibility in their scheduling and decision-making
- Attend regular meetings to prevent isolation and facilitate regular collaboration
Preferred Skills to Have and Develop:
- Java, such as https://www.w3schools.com/java/
- SQL, such as https://www.w3schools.com/sql/
- Git, such as https://www.vogella.com/tutorials/EclipseGit/article.html
- PHP, such as https://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp
- Eclipse IDE 2020, download the version for Java Enterprise Edition, even if you already have another version of Eclipse: https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
- Remote work both as a team and individually
- Connection with your coworkers with a positive personality and sense of humor
- Challenge to your own assumptions and think creatively
Interns should understand that this is not a “basics” internship, as applicants are expected to have taken a majority of university classes that focus on these topics. The purpose of this internship is to bridge the gap between university learning and workplace application. All software development interns should understand the following — Season 2 is about creating new functionality and working in tandem with interns from Season 1 who will be creating test infrastructure for that functionality.
- Be generally available for meetings during business hours – we have team and individual meetings every week via Google Meet and similar online conferencing software
- Flexible daily start and stop times
- For internships taken during the fall or spring, work on average 2-4 hours a day or 10-20 hours per week. For internships during the summer, work on average of 8 hours a day or 40 hours per week.
- Bashpole expects interns to manage their individual schedules.
- Internship begin and end dates are flexible according to your university’s calendar for classes
It is expected that interns start ASAP and continue to the end of the school term for each season. Internship participation over multiple seasons is preferred, but not required.
First and foremost, you’ll indirectly contribute to solving major problems that exist everywhere in the world by creating software that directly helps the non-profits and NGOs who are on the front lines of these problems. Moreover, you will be trained on how to collaboratively develop a sophisticated code base by experienced professionals — this will help you bridge the gap in knowledge that most students otherwise have when the leave college but haven’t yet worked for several years in a proper company. You’ll also learn about our research and development process, which can be valuable to future careers with start-ups as well as big tech labs.
Interns will partner with helpful, friendly teammates from many universities and a variety of backgrounds. Please read the Company Culture to see the experience past interns had with us. These networking interns perform can lead to lifelong professional and personal connections. Interns will be given unique soft skills training called the “Rules of Thumb” (RoT) and position-specific best practices. The friendly and supportive people at Bashpole Software provide excellent mentorship. In this internship, there will be special training in front-end, back-end, or database development of a machine learning enabled marketing platform.
Email email@example.com by submitting your resume and including short descriptions of your qualifications for each bullet under the Prefered Skills section in the Cover Letter. Resumes sent without this information will not be considered. You must be a student during the time of your internship and must not have permanently graduated.
Interns – whether interested in one or multiple internships – will require only one, one-hour first interview. Also, in some cases, a customized internship may be possible.