Remote / Work-from-Home Position: Unpaid Internship
Rather than the coffee-fetching of a typical internship, Bashpole Software, Inc. interns get hands-on experience in computer science, math, and social science by participating in ongoing research via analysis, classification, and prediction of data from websites, ads, and tax returns about hundreds of thousands of non-profit organizations (NPO’s / NGO’s). This internship will center on the using and developing new “Natural Language Processing” Machine Learning type algorithms and statistical techniques.
Your involvement in our research can directly help nonprofits around the world better understand their own marketing strategies and the method by which to develop better ones. In helping to build upon existing research to find the best way to share ideas and explore the realm of nonprofit marketing, you can help nonprofits on larger scale than by interning for any one nonprofit. Bashpole Software, Inc. enables you to work alongside professionals in the field and to join them in the pursuit of truth, knowledge, and how best to help the world make itself a better place.
This internship is the second of a three-part series of training for software engineering that leads to definite positive impact for charities that interest you and even potential employment with Bashpole Software. Depending on your experience, you can apply to start with Season 1 or Season 2.
For internships, a “season” means one of summer, fall/winter, or winter/spring. It varies depending on the timeline (semesters/trimesters/quarters) your college follows, and internship begin and end dates vary likewise. Generally, a full-time internship lasts for at least 3 months, and a part-time internship lasts for at least 5 months, no matter the season.
- Software Engineering Season 1: Usability, Unit, and System Testing for Software for Non-profits
- Software Engineering Season 2.A: Full Stack Software Development that Helps Non-profits Internship
- Software Engineering Season 2.B: Natural Language Processing (NLP) in Machine Learning – Advertising & Optimization – Software for Nonprofits
- Software Engineering Season 2.C: idTraffickers.com – Web Full Stack Development and R&D of Algorithms for Fighting Human Trafficking
- Software Engineering Season 3: Software Engineering Team Management & Leadership
People can apply to skip Season 1 if they have an exceptional background and experience already. Interns wanting to move to Season 3 must have done a Season 2 internship in advance.
A Unique and Valuable Experience:
Bashpole Software is preparing to roll out its prototype software to nonprofits that work on a wide variety of social causes across the USA and many other countries.
- We support creating opportunities for leadership. As an intern, you’ll be encouraged to lead projects and goals that suit your interests. This encouragement extends to potential management training.
- You will work either collaboratively in a team or independently on a project of your choice from a list that we will provide.
- In weekly team meetings, you will be guided by Bashpole employees who have from 10 to 20 years or more of relevant work experience.
With approval from management, this internship also offers opportunities for you to add examples to your professional portfolio, which you can later use for future job applications. Moreover:
- Need work study or school-credit for the internship? We can support this.
- We also encourage students to apply for scholarships for participating in our internship.
Training Beyond the Core Subject:
Our rules-of-thumb (RoT’s) training process is part of Bashpole’s ongoing effort to provide a positive and collaborative environment for all its employees. The RoT’s are the otherwise unwritten rules of professional culture and etiquette straight from an industry professional. We’ve developed a system for expressly teaching these rules and procedures to our employees.
- This experience, and the valuable lessons you learn, will be of use to you throughout your whole career. Much of this comes directly from our founder, with whom you’ll work often during the internship experience.
- Bashpole’s company culture is a supportive, motivated, and collaborative environment for all levels of employment that isn’t based upon strict workplace hierarchies. With the projects you work on, and the people you regularly work with, you can establish a cooperative and productive relationship with anyone at any place on the corporate ladder.
- This isn’t a “busy work” internship. The work Bashpole does, and you’ll be contributing to, affects the nonprofit world and will result in real applicable experience.
Bashpole Software, Inc. has been in business since 2006 with the mission to develop technology to better the world. Our services include applied research and development, nonprofit marketing, sponsorship opportunities for businesses, and data services. Your research will be with real data on real projects that we will put to real use in short order for our customers and partner organizations. This allows you to have a larger impact than if working with a single nonprofit or government organization alone.
Bashpole has been funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), the Defense Advanced Research Projects Initiative (DARPA), and the sales of services to nonprofits. For more information, please visit https://bashpolesoftware.com/.
- Apply previous training in NLP specialization within Machine Learning, making Artificial Intelligence understand text-based user input
- Apply their skills to the nonprofit sector, assisting with marketing and analytics for diversified organizations such as anti-human trafficking and environmental policy
- Work in data preparation and analysis, becoming familiar with data outside of just testing and creating algorithms
- Apply and expand their knowledge for machine learning, statistics, and natural language understanding (NLU)
- Participate in a remote-learning environment, assisting nonprofits during the COVID pandemic with advertising their causes
- Build a strong network with other interns while socially distanced
choose their own nonprofits, allowing for flexibility in their scheduling and decision-making
- Attend regular meetings to prevent isolation and facilitate regular collaboration
Interns must understand that the tasks above are standard for professional machine learning jobs. By the end of the summer, Bashpole Software expects all aspects of code to be translated into Java. Although interns can do prototyping in other languages, Java is a standard for the industry.
Preferred Skills to Have and Develop:
- Java, such as https://www.w3schools.com/java/
- SQL, such as https://www.w3schools.com/sql/
- The NLP specialty with Machine Learning / AI, such as
- Statistics / Analytics
- Git, such as https://www.vogella.com/tutorials/EclipseGit/article.html
- Eclipse IDE 2020, download the version for Java Enterprise Edition, even if you already have another version of Eclipse: https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
- Genuine interest in the nonprofit sector and discover better ways that organizations can communicate with the public
- Remote work both in a team and individually
- Connection with your coworkers with a positive personality and sense of humor
- Challenge to your own assumptions and think creatively
Interns should understand that this is not a “basics” internship, as applicants are expected to have taken a majority of university classes that focus on these topics. The purpose of this internship is to bridge the gap between university learning and workplace application. All software development interns should understand the following — Season 2 is about creating new functionality and working in tandem with interns from Season 1 who will be creating test infrastructure for that functionality.
- Be generally available for meetings during business hours – we have team and individual meetings every week via Google Meet and similar online conferencing software
- Flexible daily start and stop times
- For internships taken during the fall or spring, work on average 2-4 hours a day or 10-20 hours per week. For internships during the summer, work on average of 8 hours a day or 40 hours per week.
- Bashpole expects interns to manage their individual schedules.
- Internship begin and end dates are flexible according to your university’s calendar for classes
It is expected that interns start ASAP and continue to the end of the school term for each season. Internship participation over multiple seasons is preferred, but not required.
You’ll be trained how to reach and interact with executives, how to collect unbiased information, how to manage large numbers of parallel efforts efficiently using technology, how to think about best practices in nonprofit communications, how to identify market opportunities, and how to grow one’s network of professional contacts. There may also be opportunities to earn commissions from follow-up sales.
Interns will partner with helpful, friendly teammates from many universities and a variety of backgrounds. Please read the Company Culture to see the experience past interns had with us. These networking interns perform can lead to lifelong professional and personal connections. Interns will be given unique soft skills training called the “Rules of Thumb” (RoT) and position-specific best practices. The friendly and supportive people at Bashpole Software provide excellent mentorship. In this internship, there will be special training in software development, machine learning, and natural language processing. To be eligible, you must have already completed classes in all of these topics.
Email email@example.com by submitting your resume and including short descriptions of your qualifications for each bullet under the Prefered Skills section in the Cover Letter. Resumes sent without this information will not be considered. You must be a student during the time of your internship and must not have permanently graduated.
Interns – whether interested in one or multiple internships – will require only one, one-hour first interview. Also, in some cases, a customized internship may be possible.