Remote / Work-from-Home Position: Rolling Start Dates, Full-time over Summer 2021, 3-4 Month Commitment, Unpaid Internship
Rather than the coffee-fetching of a typical internship, Bashpole Software, Inc. interns will get hands-on experience in computer science, math, and social science by participating in ongoing software engineering and full-web-stack development of a first-of-its-kind system to help non-profits gain the publicity that is currently more desperately needed than ever.
Real Experience: Your contribution in our research and development can directly help nonprofits around the world to connect with donors, volunteers, employees, constituents, and more. In helping to build upon our prototype, you can help nonprofits help the world on larger scale than by interning for any one nonprofit. Interns should know their efforts could lead to real people in the United States being rescued from human trafficking. Bashpole Software, Inc. enables you to work alongside machine learning, machine vision, natural language processing, and software development professionals. Join us in the pursuit of truth, knowledge, and how best to help the world make itself a better place.
Thoughtful Mentorship: Bashpole Software, Inc. enables you to work in small teams of typically 3 to 5 interns with direct supervision and mentorship on a weekly basis from either the company’s CEO, senior staff members, interns who have held this position before, or all of the above.
This internship is the second of a three-part series of training for software engineering that leads to definite positive impact for charities that interest you and even potential employment with Bashpole Software. Depending on your experience, you can apply to start with Season 1 or Season 2.
For internships, a “season” means one of summer, fall/winter, or winter/spring. It varies depending on the timeline (semesters/trimesters/quarters) your college follows, and internship begin and end dates vary likewise. Generally, a full-time internship lasts for at least 3 months, and a part-time internship lasts for at least 5 months, no matter the season.
- Software Engineering Season 1.A: Usability, Unit, and System Testing for Software for Non-profits
- Software Engineering Season 1.B: System Administration and Infrastructure Coding for Cloud Computing and Virtual Development Environments
- Software Engineering Season 2.A: PromoterMotor.com – Full Stack Software Development that Helps Non-profits
- Software Engineering Season 2.B: Natural Language Processing (NLP) in Machine Learning – Advertising & Optimization – Software for Nonprofits
- Software Engineering Season 2.C: idTraffickers.com – Web Full Stack Development and R&D of Algorithms for Fighting Human Trafficking
- Software Engineering Season 3: Team Management
People can apply to skip Season 1 if they have an exceptional background and experience already. Interns wanting to move to Season 3 must have done a Season 2 internship in advance.
Note: do not apply for more than one internship position at a time. Pick the one that interests you the most, apply for it, and then if you are invited for an interview, mention your interest in the other positions at that time.
A Unique and Valuable Experience: Bashpole Software is preparing to roll out its prototype software to nonprofits that work on a wide variety of social causes across the USA and many other countries.
- We support creating opportunities for leadership. As an intern, you’ll be encouraged to lead projects and goals that suit your interests. This encouragement extends to potential management training.
- You will work either collaboratively in a team or independently on a project of your choice from a list that we will provide.
- In weekly team meetings, you will be guided by Bashpole employees who have from 10 to 20 years or more of relevant work experience.
Network with Peers, Mentors, & More: Bashpole supports networking opportunities by helping you to learn how to effectively communicate with executives. Build lasting impressions and have direct interactions with staff members and fellow interns who reside around the United States and the world. Interns often report being able to meet more people in our remote internships than they are able to meet in physical classrooms with the same number of people because of the ways we encourage and facilitate networking meetings.
Portfolio: With approval from management, this internship also offers opportunities for you to add examples to your professional portfolio, which you can later use for future job applications.
Credit: If you want work-study or school-credit for the internship, we can provide the kind of oversight your university would require. Some educational institutions require prior approval before the start of an internship. It is the responsibility of the student to check with their institution to be sure they meet any requirements before they accept a position.
Workplace Readiness Training: There are a variety of corporate culture and communication soft skills that many organizations expect you to know but few universities or companies actually provide training for. So, we’ve developed something unique: our rules-of-thumb (RoT’s) training process. The RoT’s are the otherwise unwritten rules of professional etiquette straight from hard-learned experiences of industry professionals. We’re developing a book and a training system for expressly teaching this kind of advice to our employees, our interns, and eventually to others that will be valuable for your future career.
Testimonials: Bashpole’s company culture is a supportive, motivated, and collaborative environment for all levels of employment that isn’t based upon strict workplace hierarchies. With the projects you work on, and the people you regularly work with, you can establish a cooperative and productive relationship with anyone at any place on the corporate ladder.
Make a Difference: Unlike with your classroom experiences, your work here will be with real people on real projects that we will put to real use in short order for our customers and partner organizations. This allows you to have a larger impact than if working with a single nonprofit or government organization alone. Interns will also contribute to our training documents and leave a legacy for future interns.
About Us: Bashpole Software, Inc. has been in business since 2006 with the mission to develop technology to better the world. Our services include applied research and development, nonprofit marketing, sponsorship opportunities for businesses, and data services. Bashpole has been funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), the Defense Advanced Research Projects Initiative (DARPA), and the sales of services to nonprofits. For more information, please visit https://bashpolesoftware.com/.
- Research and develop photo recognition software, an automated phone tip line, and a web platform
- Develop algorithms to identify locations where human trafficking victims are found and assist authorities in tracking participants within those structures
- Learn how to work in tandem with relevant authorities to make all algorithms scalable and efficient
- Participate in a remote-learning environment, assisting nonprofits during the COVID pandemic with advertising their causes
- Build a strong network with other interns while socially distanced
choose their own nonprofits, allowing for flexibility in their scheduling and decision-making
- Attend regular meetings to prevent isolation and facilitate regular collaboration
Preferred Skills to Have and Develop:
- Java, such as https://www.w3schools.com/java/
- SQL, such as https://www.w3schools.com/sql/
- The NLP specialty with Machine Learning / AI, such as
- Statistics / Analytics
- Git, such as https://www.vogella.com/tutorials/EclipseGit/article.html
- Eclipse IDE 2020, download the version for Java Enterprise Edition, even if you already have another version of Eclipse: https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
- Genuine interest in the nonprofit sector and discover better ways that organizations can communicate with the public
- Remote work both in a team and individually
- Connection with your coworkers with a positive personality and sense of humor
- Challenge to your own assumptions and think creatively
Interns should understand that this is not a “basics” internship, as applicants are expected to have taken a majority of university classes that focus on these topics. The purpose of this internship is to bridge the gap between university learning and workplace application. All software development interns should understand the following — Season 2 is about creating new functionality and working in tandem with interns from Season 1 who will be creating test infrastructure for that functionality.
- Be generally available for meetings during business hours – we have team and individual meetings every week via Google Meet and similar online conferencing software
- Flexible daily start and stop times
- For internships taken during the fall or spring, work on average 2-4 hours a day or 10-20 hours per week. For internships during the summer, work on average of 8 hours a day or 40 hours per week.
- Bashpole expects interns to manage their individual schedules.
- Internship begin and end dates are flexible according to your university’s calendar for classes
It is expected that interns start ASAP and continue to the end of the school term for each season. Internship participation over multiple seasons is preferred, but not required.
First and foremost, you’ll indirectly contribute to solving major problems that exist everywhere in the world by creating software that directly helps the non-profits and NGOs who are on the front lines of these problems. Moreover, you will be trained on how to collaboratively develop a sophisticated code base by experienced professionals — this will help you bridge the gap in knowledge that most students otherwise have when the leave college but haven’t yet worked for several years in a proper company.
Interns will partner with helpful, friendly teammates from many universities and a variety of backgrounds. Please read the Company Culture to see the experience past interns had with us. These networking interns perform can lead to lifelong professional and personal connections. Interns will be given unique soft skills training called the “Rules of Thumb” (RoT) and position-specific best practices. The friendly and supportive people at Bashpole Software provide excellent mentorship. In this internship, there will be special training in developing web applications. To be eligible, you must have already completed classes in data structures, databases, and Java programming, as well as have developed at least one significant Java program beyond what was in these classes.
Bashpole Software, Inc. complies with all US Department of Labor Federal Internship Guidelines. https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.htm
Email email@example.com by submitting your resume and including short descriptions of your qualifications for each bullet under the Prefered Skills section in the Cover Letter. Resumes sent without this information will not be considered. You must be a student during the time of your internship and must not have permanently graduated.
Interns – whether interested in one or multiple internships – will require only one, one-hour first interview. Also, in some cases, a customized internship may be possible.