Remote / Work-from-Home Position: Rolling Start Dates, Full-time over Summer 2021, 3-4 Month Commitment, Unpaid Internship
Rather than the coffee-fetching and file-organizing of a typical internship, Bashpole Software, Inc. interns get hands-on experience in the nonprofit sector by both working with and performing researching related to a wide variety of non-profts from across the United States… and many other potential avenues of contribution based upon your interests and skills. The duration and time commitment of this internship will be flexible to fit your class schedules.
Real Experience: Your involvement in our research can directly help nonprofits around the world better understand their own marketing strategies and the method by which to develop better ones. In helping to build upon existing research to find the best way to share ideas and explore the realm of nonprofit marketing, you can help nonprofits on larger scale than by interning for one nonprofit. Bashpole Software, Inc. enables you to work alongside professionals in the nonprofit field and to join them in the pursuit of truth, knowledge, and how best to help the world make itself a better place.
Thoughtful Mentorship: Bashpole Software, Inc. enables you to work in small teams of typically 3 to 5 interns with direct supervision and mentorship on a weekly basis from either the company’s CEO, senior staff members, interns who have held this position before, or all of the above.
This internship is the second of a three-part series of training for business consulting that leads to definite positive impact for charities that interest you and even potential employment with Bashpole Software.
For internships, a “season” means one of summer, fall/winter, or winter/spring. It varies depending on the timeline (semesters/trimesters/quarters) your college follows, and internship begin and end dates vary likewise. Generally, a full-time internship lasts for at least 3 months, and a part-time internship lasts for at least 5 months, no matter the season.
- Technical Writing Internship Season 1: Proposal Writing for Technology Research and Development (R&D) to Government and Non-profits
- Technical Writing Internship Season 2: Strategic Communication & Business Development
- Technical Writing Internship Season 3: Team Management
People cannot apply to skip Season 1. Also, interns wanting to move to Season 3 must have done a Season 2 internship in advance.
Note: do not apply for more than one internship position at a time. Pick the one that interests you the most, apply for it, and then if you are invited for an interview, mention your interest in the other positions at that time.
A Unique and Valuable Experience: Bashpole Software is preparing partner with nonprofits and apply for grants to support software development.
- We support creating opportunities for leadership. As an intern, you’ll be encouraged to lead projects and goals that suit your interests. This encouragement extends to potential management training.
- You will work either collaboratively in a team or independently on a project of your choice from a list that we will provide.
- In weekly team meetings, you will be guided by Bashpole employees who have from 10 to 20 years or more of relevant work experience.
Network with Peers, Mentors, & More: Bashpole supports networking opportunities by helping you to learn how to effectively communicate with executives. Build lasting impressions and have direct interactions with staff members and fellow interns who reside around the United States and the world. Interns often report being able to meet more people in our remote internships than they are able to meet in physical classrooms with the same number of people because of the ways we encourage and facilitate networking meetings.
Portfolio: With approval from management, this internship also offers opportunities for you to add examples to your professional portfolio, which you can later use for future job applications.
Credit: If you want work-study or school-credit for the internship, we can provide the kind of oversight your university would require. Some educational institutions require prior approval before the start of an internship. It is the responsibility of the student to check with their institution to be sure they meet any requirements before they accept a position.
Workplace Readiness Training: There are a variety of corporate culture and communication soft skills that many organizations expect you to know but few universities or companies actually provide training for. So, we’ve developed something unique: our rules-of-thumb (RoT’s) training process. The RoT’s are the otherwise unwritten rules of professional etiquette straight from hard-learned experiences of industry professionals. We’re developing a book and a training system for expressly teaching this kind of advice to our employees, our interns, and eventually to others that will be valuable for your future career.
Testimonials: Bashpole’s company culture is a supportive, motivated, and collaborative environment for all levels of employment that isn’t based upon strict workplace hierarchies. With the projects you work on, and the people you regularly work with, you can establish a cooperative and productive relationship with anyone at any place on the corporate ladder.
Make a Difference: Unlike with your classroom experiences, your work here will be with real people on real projects that we will put to real use in short order for our customers and partner organizations. This allows you to have a larger impact than if working with a single nonprofit or government organization alone. Interns will also contribute to our training documents and leave a legacy for future interns.
About Us: Bashpole Software, Inc. has been in business since 2006 with the mission to develop technology to better the world. Our services include applied research and development, nonprofit marketing, sponsorship opportunities for businesses, and data services. Bashpole has been funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), the Defense Advanced Research Projects Initiative (DARPA), and the sales of services to nonprofits. For more information, please visit https://bashpolesoftware.com/.
- Track business development by identifying key trends with program managers and decision makers about grants and contracts (for R&D funding)
- Build conversational repertoire in professional environments with peers and executives, as well as find relevant information on decision making. Interns will understand how decisions impact a company by examining significant effects on productivity, advertising, and revenue.
- Help nonprofits get necessary publicity in these times of turmoil, helping more people through advocating products and concepts than could be achieved as a volunteer for any single nonprofit
Preferred Skills to Have and Develop:
- Meticulously attentive to detail but also able to grasp the big picture
- Able to augment their analytical skills with a dash of creativity in solving problems
- Remote work both as a team and individually
- Connection with your coworkers with a positive personality and sense of humor
- Challenge to your own assumptions and think creatively
- Be generally available for meetings during business hours – we have team and individual meetings every week via Google Meet and similar online conferencing software
- Flexible daily start and stop times
- For internships taken during the fall or spring, work on average 2-4 hours a day or 10-20 hours per week. For internships during the summer, work on average of 8 hours a day or 40 hours per week.
- Bashpole expects interns to manage their individual schedules.
- Internship begin and end dates are flexible according to your university’s calendar for classes
It is expected that interns start ASAP and continue to the end of the school term for each season. Internship participation over multiple seasons is preferred, but not required.
You’ll be trained how to reach and interact with important executives, how to collect unbiased information, how to manage large numbers of parallel efforts efficiently using technology, how to think about best practices in nonprofit communications, how to identify market opportunities, and how to grow one’s network of professional contacts.
Interns will partner with helpful, friendly teammates from many universities and a variety of backgrounds. Please read the Company Culture to see the experience past interns had with us. These networking interns perform can lead to lifelong professional and personal connections. Interns will be given unique soft skills training called the “Rules of Thumb” (RoT) and position-specific best practices. The friendly and supportive people at Bashpole Software provide excellent mentorship. In this internship, there will be special training in identifying decision makers and in program management.
Bashpole Software, Inc. complies with all US Department of Labor Federal Internship Guidelines. https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.htm
Email firstname.lastname@example.org by submitting your resume and including short descriptions of your qualifications for each bullet under the Prefered Skills section in the Cover Letter. Resumes sent without this information will not be considered. You must be a student during the time of your internship and must not have permanently graduated.
Interns – whether interested in one or multiple internships – will require only one, one-hour first interview. Also, in some cases, a customized internship may be possible.